About Texas Songwriter U
Texas Songwriter U (TxSU) is an annual songwriting development program consisting of a songwriting competition, educational workshops, co-writes, an industry day and showcase events.
Founded in 2014, the mission of TxSU serves to identify, develop and support the best adult songwriters in Texas, while improving upon the quality and quantity of professional songwriting across our state. Texas Songwriter U is a 501(c)(3) non-profit fully supported with the help of American country music artist Jack Ingram, Broadcast Music, Inc (BMI), and The Texas Heritage Songwriters’ Association.
Season 9 of Texas Songwriter U (TxSU) will open its call-for-entries on July 5, 2023. On November 5, 2023 we will close our call-for-entries. In December of 2023 we will announce our eight selected songwriters invited into the 2024 Texas Songwriter U held February 11–14, 2024. Songwriters can submit their songs under “Submit A Song” below.
What can I expect if selected as one of the eight Texas Songwriter U All-Star finalists?
What is in it for entering?
What are the official rules?
What is the submission deadline?
What happens if I am chosen as a finalist?
What happens if I am chosen as the final winner?
- Texas Songwriter U will host a three-night stay at a private ranch complete with beautiful accommodations and 360-degree views of the Texas Hill Country. Meals will be provided to finalists throughout their stay.
- Two incredible performances in Austin. First, you will perform at a Texas Songwriter U Showcase highlighting each finalist, hosting before a packed house in Austin’s premier listening room, The Saxon Pub. Each will perform their two submitted songs. Next, you will perform in an invite-only show at a private ranch with music industry and performer VIPs in attendance alongside Jack, Liz Rose and Trannie Anderson.
- A three-day songwriting workshop led by Jack and mentored by Liz Rose.
- The workshop will offer 1) feedback, providing each songwriter with in-depth song evaluation and feedback from Jack Ingram and workshop mentors, 2) writing opportunities, allowing songwriters to write and co-write with other songwriters, and 3) “Industry Day” where finalists will get exposure to the music industry such as publishers, PROs, booking agents, artist managers, tour managers, venue owners, etc.
- Professional photography keepsakes highlighting the workshop and showcases
- Finalists can expect some surprise drop-ins during our three-day workshop.
- Post-event support from our workshop leaders includes social support, relationship building, and performance placement.
- A chance to be selected as one of eight finalists and invited to Austin, February 11-14, 2024. Finalists participate in a three-day songwriting workshop moderated by Jack Ingram. Mentors for this season include host Jack Ingram, GRAMMY Award-winning, Hall of Fame songwriter Liz Rose and past TXSU winner Trannie Anderson (“Heart Like A Truck”). . Past mentors have included Gary Nicholson, Radney Foster, Liz Rose, Jon Randall, Shawn Camp, Jessie Jo Dillon, Chase Bryant, Charlie Sexton, and Alexander Palmer.
- Applicants have to be born in Texas, currently reside in Texas, or have lived here 5 years. (Verification may be required)
- Applicants have to be a minimum age of 18. (Verification may be required)
- Any genre of music is accepted.
- Two MP3 songs may be uploaded per applicant.
- A $25 processing fee is required. Payable by credit or debit card.
- Songs are scored by music industry professionals based on songwriting skill, talent and potential.
- Songs can be co-written.
- Self-publishing is accepted.
- Uploaded songs may be sung by someone other than the applicant.
- Previous winners are not eligible to win again.
- Season 9 of Texas Songwriter U (TxSU) opens its call-for-entries on July 5, 2023, accepting submissions through November 5, 2023. Songwriters can register and upload their songs on this site.
- Finalists will be notified by phone and e-mail.
- All finalists will attend a 3-day songwriting workshop lead by host Jack Ingram and mentors Liz Rose and Trannie Anderson.
- Dates of the workshop are February 11-14, 2024.
- All finalists shall come prepared with their instruments, the lyrics of submitted songs and prepared to play those songs in the workshop – either live or recorded.
- Only finalists can sit in the workshop. (No accompanists)
- Workshop moderator: Singer/Songwriter Jack Ingram
- Workshop panelist and mentors: Mentors for this season include host Jack Ingram, GRAMMY Award-winning, Hall of Fame songwriter Liz Rose and past TXSU winner Trannie Anderson (“Heart Like A Truck”).
- Upon approval, one accompanist can play with the finalists at the Sunday showcase. The TxSU does not cover the accompanist’s travel expenses.
- Finalists will be responsible for their transportation to Austin. Finalists will be reimbursed for travel expenses up to $200.
- Receipts and/or mileage records will be required for reimbursement. No exceptions.
- All finalists are welcome to stay at the ranch (45 minutes outside of Austin), the host location of our 3-day workshop.
- Hotel incidentals will need to be covered by the finalists.
- TxSU will cover breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the first and second nights.
- Two guests can attend the Sunday Saxon Showcase free of charge.
Our selected songwriting winner will be announced at the end of our final seminar. The winner will be selected based on the songs submitted at the initial screening and original songs performed during the workshop and showcase.
- The winner receives:
- A performance at a future MJM (Mack, Jack & McConaughey) charity after-pick party, (travel not paid)
- An all-day recording studio demo session at Austin’s famed Arlyn Studios, (travel not paid).
- A three-night stay and a performance opportunity at a music festival of our choice (travel AND hotel paid)
- Tickets for the songwriter and a guest to attend the entire 2023 Texas Heritage Songwriters’ Association Hall of Fame Weekend
- A new Epiphone guitar
Submit a Song
Season 9 of Texas Songwriter U (TxSU) will open its call-for-entries on July 5, 2023. On November 5, 2023. we will close our call-for-entries. On December 17, 2023 we will announce our eight selected songwriters invited into the 2023 Texas Songwriter U held February 2024.
During our annual call for entry, songwriters can submit music for evaluation into Texas Songwriter U. Applicants have to be born in Texas, currently reside in Texas, or have lived here 5 years. Applicants have to be a minimum of age 18. Any genre of music is accepted, and must be uploaded in a MP3 song format. Previous winners are not eligible to apply. A $25 processing fee is required, payable by credit or debit card. Songs can be co-written, and self publishing is accepted.
“It’s one thing to have talent. It’s another to figure out how to use it.”- Roger Miller
“It’s one thing to have talent. It’s another to figure out how to use it.”– Roger Miller
"*" indicates required fields