About Texas Songwriter U
Texas Songwriter U (TxSU) is an annual songwriting development program consisting of a songwriting competition, educational workshop and showcase event.
Founded in 2014, the mission of TxSU serves to identify, develop and support the best adult songwriters in Texas, while improving upon the quality and quantity of professional songwriting across our state. Texas Songwriter U is a 501(c)(3) non-profit fully supported with the help of American country music artist Jack Ingram, Broadcast Music, Inc (BMI), and The Texas Heritage Songwriters’ Association.
Texas-Native Artist/Writer, Mignon, is creating quite a buzz for herself in Nashville, Tennessee. With her unique family name, passionate song lyrics, and powerful voice, Mignon has created a fresh, authentic take on the Country genre. She has shared the stage with artists such as Brad Paisley, Chris Young, The Jonas Brothers, JoJo, Rodney Crowell, and more.
What are the official rules?
What is in it for entering?
What can I expect if selected as one of the eight Texas Songwriter U All-Star finalists?
What is the submission deadline?
What happens if I am chosen as a finalist?
What happens if I am chosen as the final winner?
- Applicants have to be born in Texas, currently reside in Texas, or have lived here 5 years. (Verification may be required)
- Applicants have to be a minimum of age 18. (Verification may be required)
- Any genre of music is accepted.
- Two MP3 songs may be uploaded per applicant.
- A $25 processing fee is required. Payable by credit or debit card.
- Songs are scored by music industry professionals based on songwriting skill, talent and potential.
- Songs can be co-written.
- Self-publishing is accepted.
- Uploaded songs may be sung by someone other than the applicant.
- Previous winners are not eligible to win again.
A chance to be selected as one of eight finalists invited to Austin, January 19-21, 2022. Finalists will participate in a two-day songwriting workshop with industry leadership panels, live music showcases, and song feedback sessions, moderated by Jack Ingram and Friends. The caliber of past songwriters who have joined Jack as mentors include Gary Nicholson, Radney Foster, Liz Rose, Jon Randall, Shawn Camp, and Jessie Jo Dillon
- A two-night stay at Austin’s celebrated Hotel Ella, a residence of impeccable service, refinement, and style. Meals will be provided to finalists throughout their stay.
- Two incredible performances in Austin. First, they will perform at a private Texas Songwriter U Kick-Off Show for a VIP audience at the Yeti Flagship store on the evening of Wednesday, January 19. On Thursday, January 20 at 8:00 pm, a Texas Songwriter U Showcase will highlight each finalist, hosting a live music performance before a packed house in Austin’s premier listening room, The Saxon Pub. Texas Songwriter U will honor these finalists, and each will perform during a two-hour session following performances by Jack and Friends!
- A two-day songwriting workshop led by Jack and a couple of his award-winning songwriting friends.
- Direct and in-depth song feedback from Jack Ingram and workshop mentors.
- Access to an “Industry Day” workshop format where finalists will get exposure to leaders, such as publishers, PROs, booking agents, artist managers, tour managers, venue owners, etc.
- Professional photography keepsakes highlighting the workshop and showcase experience by professional music photographer Ted Parker, Jr.
- Finalists can expect some surprise drop-ins during our two-day workshop.
- Post-event support from our workshop leaders, such as social support, relationship building, and performance placement.
- Season 7 of Texas Songwriter U (TxSU) opened its call-for-entries on November 3, accepting submissions through December 4, 2021. Songwriters can register and upload their songs at this site.
- Finalists will be notified by phone and e-mail.
- All finalists will attend a 2-day songwriting workshop with Jack Ingram and friends.
- Dates of workshop are January 19 – 21, 2022.
- All finalists shall come prepared with their instrument, lyrics of submitted songs, and prepared to play those songs in the workshop – either live or recorded.
- Only finalists can sit in the workshop. (No accompanists)
- Workshop moderator: Singer/Songwriter Jack Ingram
- Workshop panelist and mentors: Singer/Songwriter Jack Ingram and friends, including multi-GRAMMY Award-winning songwriter Liz Rose.
- Upon approval, one accompanist is allowed to play with the finalists at the showcase. The accompanist’s travel expense is not covered by the TxSU.
- Finalists will be responsible for their own transportation to Austin. Finalists will be reimbursed for travel expense up to $200.
- Receipts and/or mileage records will be required for reimbursement. No exceptions.
- All finalists are welcome to stay at The Hotel Ella, host location of our workshop.
- Hotel incidentals will need to be covered by the finalists.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on the first and second night will be covered by TxSU
- Two guests can attend the showcase free of charge
- Our selected songwriting winner will be announced at the end of our final seminar
- The winner will be selected on the basis of the songs submitted at the initial screening and original songs performed during the workshop and showcase.
- The winner receives:
- An opportunity to co-write one song with Jack Ingram
- A performance at a future MJM (Mack, Jack & McConaughey) charity after-pick party, (travel not paid)
- An all-day recording studio demo session at Austin’s famed Arlyn Studios, (travel not paid).
- A three-night stay and a performance opportunity at a music festival of our choice (travel AND hotel paid)
- A performance at the TXHSA Texas Songwriters Hall of Fame Brunch
- Tickets for the songwriter and a guest to attend the entire 2022 Texas Heritage Songwriters’ Association Hall of Fame Weekend
- A new Epiphone guitar
Submit a Song
Season 7 of Texas Songwriter U (TxSU) has closed its call-for-entries. On December 21, 2021, we will announce our eight selected songwriters. TxSU will open its call-for-entries again in the summer of 2022.
During our annual call for entry, songwriters can submit music for evaluation into Texas Songwriter U. Applicants have to be born in Texas, currently reside in Texas, or have lived here 5 years. Applicants have to be a minimum of age 18. Any genre of music is accepted, and must be uploaded in a MP3 song format.A $25 processing fee is required, payable by credit or debit card. Songs can be co-written, and self publishing is accepted.
“It’s one thing to have talent. It’s another to figure out how to use it.”- Roger Miller
“It’s one thing to have talent. It’s another to figure out how to use it.”– Roger Miller
"*" indicates required fields